Of all the systems that make your home functional, your electrical system is by far one of the most important. From watching your favorite television show to keeping your food cool, electricity is important. Consequently, it's imperative that you do your part to keep your home's electrical system in good condition. The best way to do this is by avoiding those practices that actually cause damage.
When it comes to replacing light bulbs, many homeowner's consider size alone. If the bulb fits into the socket and provides the level of light they need, that's good enough. However, this type of mentality can actually cause damage. It's not just important that the bulb fit into the socket, but also that it's the correct wattage. Each light socket contact is designed to handle a particular load level. The maximum wattage for a socket is clearly etched on it.
For example, if the socket is for a 60-watt light bulb and you install a 100-watt light bulb, you are overloading the socket. This overload will cause the socket to become very hot. While this might not cause an immediate issue, over time, this will increase the risk of the socket catching on fire. Even if you are able to avoid a fire, the overheating could melt the wires and other components in the socket. In this case, you would need to replace the entire unit.
Multi-outlet Extension Cords
Many homeowners use multi-outlet extension cords the wrong way. While it is generally safe to use these types of cords, you need to use them correctly. Both the wall outlet and the extension cord are designed to handle a certain level of electrical current. If you're going to use this type of cord, you need to familiarize yourself with both of these figures.
Failing to do so can overload both your electrical system and the object you have plugged in. Overloading can blow a fuse or damage the wires in your junction box, which will require professional repair services. As an added precaution, if you are going to use this type of extension cord, leave the other wall outlet empty. This will help reduce the risk of overloading the outlet.
Avoiding electrical mistakes around your home won't just help you avoid costly repairs and keep your system functioning properly, but it will also ensure your home is protected. Make certain you are doing your part to keep your home safe. If you have questions about your home's electrical system, contact an electrician from a company like Sierra Electrical to help you out.Share